10 October 2006

Fall, finally!

As many other blogger did, I noticed that finally, despite the 20° C you still get even in Milan, fall has arrived: the air is briskly, especially in the morning, after dawn is cold and the laundry needs ages to dry!
So, soup time!
I’m not big fan of soups: I can just eat Chinese soups and potage (the velvety, smooth version of soup) and that's all! The only think of a minestrone makes me sick...
So, here I come with some basic and some variations of potage.
Basics: you get any vegetable that is not feeling very well in your fridge, put it in a large saucepan with some potatoes chunks, water, salt and pepper, bring it to the boil, let it cook slowly and then blend it until smooth.
Variations: add some bay leaves or other spices; add stock; add rice; add miso; add anything you feel like…

Serves 4

3 carrots
1 leek
5 medium size potatoes
1 l of water
1 tablet or 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable stock (I used some that Petula kindly gave me!)
Sea salt

Peel the carrots and cut them in chunks. Do the same with leek and potatoes. Put all the vegetables in a large saucepan and add water, stock and not too much salt. Bring to the boil and let it simmer until all the vegetable are cooked through and are tender.
Blend everything and serve with some milk or crispy pancetta (vety thin bacon), like in the picture, or by itself, with some fresh grounded pepper.