30 November 2007

I’m high on Cannelés!

Cannelés

Oh yeah, they are really addictive those little treasures!!!
When I was seeing them in bakeries or shop around France I never had the urge for them, but that was because I’ve never tried them!!!
Then, some time ago, I saw them again here…
So last time I’ve been in France I finally bought Cannelés mold (because you need special mold to make them like that, of course!): the last step toward a endless love affair that will bring me to the grave, ahead of time, with high cholesterol and diabetes…
But then they could write on my tombstone: “Here lies Piperita, beloved wife, daughter, and blogger. She lived wildly, experiencing all the patisserie in the world (with a special preference for Pierre Hermè creations)…
And there will be a marble macaron on top of it… Preferably a caramel au buerre salé macaron… But I let the choice up to the tomb maker…
Ok, sorry, I’m getting creepy! ;-)
Back to Cannelés addiction! So, as I was saying, cannelés kept showing up in my life, here and there, from time to time…
And then, one night, watching our new addiction (Brothers&Sisters), Kitty Walker tried to feed her nephew Cooper with them, but what do you think a three years old kid can understand about high French patisserie??? Nothing, that’s it, as even grown ups cannot!
So, Sunday night my parents came to dine to our home. I though it was time: I had to make Cannelés!

Here they are… And you know what? They are simple: you mix everything, chill and then cook it for 1 hour in the oven… I mean: that’s dummies proof, no???
For the recipe, I used the only one I could find among my cookbook library, from Les Classiques de Camille, by Camille Le Foll, Marabout, 2004. (Do you want the recipe? Get the book! Or try hers!)

Following up the rest of Sunday night menu! I started from the dessert because I’m a fond maverick ("What can I say Taylor? I'm a maverick!") and I do not follow rules! Unless it is Pierre Hermè dictating them: then I’ll even jump from a bridge if he thinks it’s what you need to do to get a dessert right…

Apologies: I do not know where this creepy mood is coming from … I’m crazy, may be…