28 January 2007

Chestnut&Chocolate

I do not really like chestnut and I absolutely hate marron glacé: too sweet for me, too decadent, too much, really!
But once, in a French supermarket, a beautiful boite of chestnut purée draw my undivided attention and I bought it! The first time I used it I followed a recipe sent by one of this blog’s readers and made truffles. Exquisite!
As I easily make the same mistakes all over again, the last time we’ve been in France I haven’t bought just one boite: I’ve bought two!!!
So I’m at the same point of last spring: I have to find a good use of those heavenly goodies.
Last week, reading one of my favourite blogs, I remembered how I love Nigella Lawson and how she’s always inspiring. So I took How to be a domestic goddess from the bookshelf and look chestnut in the index. Et voilà!

500 g of chestnut purée
100 g of soft butter
1 tablespoon of rum
6 eggs, separated
260 g of chocolate, melted
3 tablespoon of sugar
2 tablespoon of brown sugar

Preheat the oven at 180° C.
Mix the chestnut purée with the butter. Melt the chocolate and add it to the chestnut, together with the rum and the egg yolk.
Whip the egg white until foamy, then add first the sugar and then the brown sugar. Whip until peaky.
Fold in three times the egg whites to the chestnut chocolate mixture and combine well.
Pour in a 20 cm cake mould and bake for 45 minutes.
Let it cool, dust with cocoa or icing sugar and serve.


Warning!


Do not eat this cake after this
and this

Too much, really!!! Our bellies were stuffed to impossible levels!!! And someone (not me, I swear!) took even two slices of the cake!!!